This book suggests a new interpretation of the characteristic qualities of Scottish and American literatures. Professor Manning reveals the "puritan-provincial vision": a particular way of looking at life and man's relationship to what lies beyond himself.
Book Buying Options
|Buy Digital Book|
Title: Puritan-Provincial Vision: Scottish and American Literature in the Nineteenth Century
Author: Susan A. Manning
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
Date Published: May 1990
Table of Contents:
1. Calvinism and the puritan mind;
2. After Armageddon; Jonathan Edwards and David Hume;
3. From puritanism to provincialism;
4. The pursuit of the double;
5. Spectators, spies and spectacles: the observer's stance;
6. 'Is anything central?'
Have one to sell, click here?