American short stories capture Americaís past and present in a unique way. Now you have an opportunity to immerse yourself in the more than two hundred year history of the American short story by taking this course and reading the new eighth edition of American Short Stories. While retaining its historical thrust and chronological organization, the new eighth edition features more contemporary stories and gives increased attention to the social and cultural contexts in which the short fiction of the United States has unfolded.
WHAT YOUíLL FIND IN THIS EDITION
- An enriched, powerful selection of stories from classic and contemporary authors. Of the sixty selected stories making up this anthology, sixteen are new to the eighth edition and nine are new authors.
- A new selection of contemporary stories is given an historical section of their own.
- New and improved Suggestions for Discussion and Writing features encourage meaningful class discussion and stimulate writing.
- Increased representation of cultural diversity with attention to race, ethnicity, gender, region, and individual social and cultural concerns.
- Enhanced Introductions and Headnotes make use of an authorís own words to place the author in relation to his or her time, to other writers, and to American literary history.
American Short Stories, 8/e is a streamlined anthology that includes "classic" works and contemporary stories that are organized chronologically. Of the sixty selected stories making up this anthology, sixteen are new to the eighth edition and nine of the authors are new. Increased attention is given to the social and cultural contexts in which the short fiction of the United States unfolded. The stories represent a wide range of themes and techniques, forms and types, motifs, tones, and issues.
Book Buying Options
|Buy Digital Book|
|Buy Audio Book|
Title: American Short Stories
Author: Bert Hitchcock
Date Published: October 2007
Edition: 8th Edition
Table of Contents:
|The Story of the Captain's Wife, and an Aged Woman||23|
|Peter Rugg, The Missing Man||28|
|The Legend of Sleepy Hollow||49|
|Young Goodman Brown||75|
|The Black Cat||85|
|The Big Bear of Arkansas||93|
|Bartleby, the Scrivener||103|
|The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County||129|
|The Outcasts of Poker Flat||135|
|A White Heron||157|
|The Passing of Grandison||165|
|An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge||192|
|A New England Nun||205|
|The Caballero's Way||215|
|The Other Two||224|
|The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky||239|
|To Build a Fire||263|
|Death in the Woods||275|
|A Jury of Her Peers||285|
|Silent Snow, Secret Snow||313|
|The Gilded Six-Bits||331|
|A Memorial to the Slain||341|
|The Secret Life of Walter Mitty||349|
|In Another Country||391|
|Thank You, Ma'm||405|
|Big Black Good Man||422|
|A Man in the House||444|
|Children on Their Birthdays||473|
|Good Country People||486|
|A & P||505|
|The Sky Is Gray||511|
|Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?||532|
|A Girl's Story||545|
|What He Was Like||566|
|The Wrath-bearing Tree||584|
|Strong Horse Tea||601|
|Hunters in the Snow||607|
|The Things They Carried||627|
|In the American Society||667|
Have one to sell, click here?